Match report

Blaze silence sell-out Cardiff crowd

Devils 2
Blaze 3

Genting Casino Coventry Blaze silenced a sold-out Ice Arena Wales crowd with a 2-3 overtime victory in South Wales tonight.

Blaze were again without defenceman Marc Cantin whilst Scott Hotham was absent from the Devils' blue line.

Following the collision at the Blaze bench two weeks before, the much anticipated follow up fight happened early with Garrett Klotz dropping the gloves with Patrick Bordeleau at 2.10. Klotz drawing blood early but nothing to score between the two after. 

Blaze piled on the pressure for much of the opening period, Godfrey firing the puck on net with Liam Stewart re-directing for 1-0 at 7.57.

Darcy Zajac then scored in his fourth consecutive game against Cardiff to put Blaze two up (10.53).

With the clock ticking down to end the first period, Gleason Fournier found space to beat Brain Stewart in the Blaze net for 1-2 (19.48).

The middle period saw Blaze killing 3 of the 6 total minor penalties against, with Cardiff having a goal ruled out for goalie interference.

Devils' top point scorer Patrick Asselin tied things at 49.47 but the Blaze defence stood firm, taking the game to 3-on-3 overtime.

With a point each on the board, following an outstanding one-on-one save by Brian Stewart, Blaze's Matt Marquardt grabbed the overtime winner and the two points for Coventry on the road 2-3.

Head Coach Danny Stewart said, "That's a good hockey club and to come into their barn and take two points I'm thrilled. That's two in a row for these guys so hopefully that gets contagious. We said at some point we were going to have to absorb some pressure and guys put their bodies on the line. Again, though we're shorthanded way too often for my liking. It's not so much over the course of 60 minutes, it's consecutive penalties that just kill your momentum and they put us on our back heals for a while there but guys found a way. We'll enjoy it but we look ahead now to tomorrow."

Head Coach Danny Stewart